Dan O'Day is one of Australia's absolute best photographers and if you've ever meet him, you'll know what I mean when I say he has a knack of making you feel special, unique and worthy of attention. In this interview, he shares the secret to becoming a successful and famous wedding photographer… plus more!
The beauty of Dan's business is he getting booked for the way he naturally sees the world. There's no denying his photographic ability. If a quick glance at his list of awards isn't enough, just take a look at work… inspiring is an understatement. I've heard he approaches all of his weddings as if he was shooting for an exhibition.
Here’s some of what we cover:
- Dan's business model and why it works
- Pricing and how Dan came up with his photography rates
- Your pricing should be reachable by your target audience
- Ways to generates extra income with your photography business
- Juggling to balance work and personal life
- What is ‘fine art photography' and can it be profitable?
- How Dan copes with anxiety and his panic disorder
- Biggest struggle when shooting destination weddings
- How to develop your own photography style
- How to become confident with your photography style
- What to share on your social media channels
- What kind of photos gather more likes and attention in social media
- It's not always about the number of likes on social media
- How much work does social media really generate for Dan
- Why Dan prefers Instagram over Facebook
- Where Dan's wedding inquiries come from
- Dan's secret to becoming a successful and famous wedding photographer
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this episode where you can hear lots more content from where we dive deeper into some of the earlier topics plus some new ones that I pushed hard for that include:
- Why Dan has started a second photography business
- Marketing strategies to get more bookings for your photography business
- The hourly rate Dan pays his second shooters and associate shooters
- Dan's thoughts on second shooters
- Dan's advice for second shooters who wants to get in with another photographer
- The best thing Dan has done for his business
- What Dan would do to get bookings fast if needed
- Why Dan thinks it's important to go out there and network with photography groups
- The importance of focusing on your craft to get better at photography
If you're on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interview with Raymond Hatfield, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your podcast app.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
People are hiring me for the way that I naturally see – Dan O'Day
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Dan or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
Promo code still is still active for Bittersweet Designs
If you’re a listener to the free version of the podcast, Rose and Thomas are spoiling you with a promo code to save you 30% off whatever you order from their store by using the code PHOTOBIZ at the checkout.
Head over to the shop at http://designbybittersweet.com and have a look at some very cool designs, logos, cheat sheets, marketing material and heaps more.
This promo code is valid till October 24th 2015.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL.
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Thank you again for listening to the show and thanks to Dan for being a fantastic guest and showing what can be achieved if we're prepared to work for it!
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon