Nadia Meli of nadiameli.com and The Signature Boss is one of those photographers you look at and think wow, I want my business, lifestyle, photography, couples and thought process to be EXACTLY like hers! The more I look online, the more perfect Nadia's life looks. In this interview, Nadia shares how she discovered her voice and style through photography which has led to the most incredible growth, success, life and photography business.
She's Italian, she's gorgeous. She has amazing clients all over the world who all seem to have beautiful, intimate weddings in amazing places.
She has close to 30 thousand Instagram followers and a YouTube channel that's just starting to gain traction.
Find a unique voice and not use the voice of the industry. – Nadia Meli
She's recently kicked off The Signature Boss where she's helping other photographers achieve what they want with their photography, business and life through branding, style discovery, mentoring and a podcast coming soon!
She says she doesn't care less about cameras and lenses. In her words, “Photography is about people. And their stories.”
Here’s some more of what we cover in this interview:
- When and how did Nadia’s photography take off as a business?
- How Nadia discovered her passion and look with her photography
- How Nadia booked her first wedding
- How to transition from being a photography enthusiast to making it a full time job
- How to get noticed using images from your first wedding gig
- Nadia’s advice to new photographers looking to build a business from their work
- The importance of practicing all the time to improve your photography
- How to get your name out into the world and market your business and yourself
- The need to be patient when searching and building success in your business
- Using your own words, your own voice to stand out and get noticed as a photographer
- How to find your own style and trust it
- How to settle with the right branding and logo for your photography business
- The foundation of a successful business
- How your values and self awareness determine your success in photography business
- Reasons to and what to consider when re-branding
- Knowing what you want before attempting to establish a brand that will work
- Why Nadia rebranded her business and how it's affected everything she does
- What can go wrong when doing a rebrand for your photography business?
- The need to cull and curate the photos you want people to see
- What happens when you’re unsure an inquiry is not your ideal client and how to handle them
- Where the majority of Nadia’s inquiries come from
- Instagram curating and Nadia’s techniques on which photos to share
- Strategies to make real connections through your Instagram posts
- How Nadia gained her followers on Instagram
- Who is Nadia’s ideal client and how she identified them
- Nadia’s Instagram sharing strategy and exactly why it works so well
- What written content (copy) should be accompanying the photos you share on Instagram?
- Should you be concerned if your photos don’t get a lot of engagement on Instagram?
- Things Nadia knows now that she wished she knew five years ago
- How to break away from unconsciously copying other people’s style
- How Nadia protects, nurtures and pushes her creativity
- What is The Signature Boss and how you can save $50 when joining
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this interview – the full length and more revealing version.
If you do what everyone else is doing, you are invisible. – Nadia Meli
If you’re on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interview with Nadia, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your phone or tablet.
Plus, members only interviews which are released intermittently.
You'll also receive access to the members only Secret Facebook Group where you can connect with other Premium Members and interview guests to help, support and motivate you to take what you hear in each episode and put it into action. There are also FB live video tutorials, role play interviews and special live interviews happening in the group.
You will not find more friendly, more motivated, caring and sharing photographers online.
Joining a Mastermind Group (encouraged by Andrew) has been incredibly valuable and fun, I look forward to connecting with my group members every week. Jina Zheng, Premium Member and Melbourne Children photographer.
And that's not all… you get a set of steak knives… I'm kidding! Seriously though, that's not all. In addition to everything above, you'll get access to and instructions on forming or joining a MasterMind Group with other premium members. These groups are super motivating, make you accountable and build friendships with other pro photographers with similar motives to you – to build a more successful photography business.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know if you're taking anything away from what Nadia shared. Is there something you heard that excited or motivated you to the point where you thought, yeah, I'm going to do that! If so, let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below, let me know what your takeaways were, what you plan to implement in your business as a result of what you heard in todays episode.
The best thing a business owner can do is really be self aware and knowing who they are and from there you will make more of the right decisions and not mess it up so much. You will mess it up anyway, but not so much. – Nadia Meli
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Nadia or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them in the comments area below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL of your website and your name.
Alternatively, if you've left a review for PhotoBizX and are looking for more backlinks to help your SEO, leave a review for the new Photography Xperiment Podcast and email me your key words or keyword phrase and where you'd like me to link to.
I want to specialise in intimate weddings. – Nadia Meli
Keep on working. Keep on working and be patient. – Nadia Meli
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
To get $50 off The Signature Style System use the promo code AmeetsN
Thanks again for listening and thanks to Nadia for coming on and sharing so much about her business, marketing and thoughts on the future of photography as a business.
I had actually never picked up a camera before the age of 20. I was never like into photography. I was always into art and creative stuff but I never thought about photography. – Nadia Meli
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon