Ben Hartley is an international award winning wedding photographer based in the USA who built a six figure photography business in less than two years! That business is Style and Story Creative and boasts a team of 7 with wedding photography packages proudly starting at over $4400.
How did Ben achieve what he has in such a short time and how can you do the same?
Evaluate, Adapt, Test, Tweak and Charge More for Your Photography.
Ben has since started Six Figure Photography and the Six Figure Photography Podcast to help photographers grow their photography business and achieve similar success.
Here’s some of what we cover:
- Collaborating with other photographers to setup a new wedding photography business
- Joining forces with other photographers to penetrate more of the market
- What Ben's business structure looks like today
- Ben's marketing plan after his business expansion
- Challenges of hiring more photographers to grow your business
- When should you consider re-branding your photography business?
- Split testing your prices to find the right fit for your business
- How to handle and deal with price changes in your business
- In business, perception is everything
- How to evaluate your business to determine your best pricing strategy
- Why you should not fear wedding photography price increases
- Why you need to change, experiment, and examine what you do in business
- How to generate massive wedding photography booking inquiries
- Choosing the perfect vendors to partner with will positively influence your branding
- Why you should refer and build relationships with your direct competitors
- What SEO strategies Ben uses in his business
- How to create the best client experience
- The need to highly prioritize your overall client response time
- Why you should give up on emails and start calling clients on the phone
- Why you should hire an office manager for your photography business
- How important is photography to the success of a photography business?
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this episode where you can hear lots more content from where we dive deeper into some of the earlier topics plus some new ones that I pushed hard for that include:
- Why clients are willing to pay so much more for your photography
- Your branding and your self-worth are what defines how much you can charge
- How to create a brand that connects with your client
- How can your business connect to your ideal client?
- When to hire a copywriter for your web copy
- Why it's okay to target clients outside your financial comfort zone
- Are your self-limiting beliefs stopping you from charging more than you could?
- Why online marketing needs to be a huge part of your business strategy today
- How to effectively use retargeting for your Facebook advertising campaigns
- How to measure the success of your Facebook ads
- The types of images you share make all the difference
- How to create a successful marketing campaign
- The best thing Ben has done to grow his business
If you're on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interview with Ben Hartley, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your phone or tablet.
Plus, access to a members only Facebook group where we take learning and community to a whole new level.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
Success and price point is so little affected by the quality of your work – Ben Hartley
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Ben or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL and your name.
The quality of your work does not define your success and does not define how much you can charge – Ben Hartley
Black Friday Special for 12 months Premium Membership
There's never been a special for the premium membership but I'm planning one for the upcoming Black Friday weekend – Friday 27th November till Monday 30th November 2015.
There will be a massive 40% off for that one weekend only and only for the 12 month subscription.
Normally priced at $200USD, the special price will be $120USD. Again, this will be the only special for the year and it's only for the one weekend.
I'll send links to the special sign up page to anyone on my email list which you can get on by simply downloading my free ebook – How To Book More Portraits Than You Ever Thought Possible.
New Facebook Group for Premium Members
The new Facebook Group for Premium members has kicked off and is going amazingly well. The camaraderie, help, support, questions and answers have been overwhelmingly good.
I think the successor of the group has a lot to do with everyone's common interest to build a better photography business and the fact everyone is at a different level means the range of topics and help really has been exceptional.
Members will have noticed more and more interview guests have been joining and participating in the discussions which just adds another level of value completely.
Having the Group as part of the Premium Membership has just added a whole new level of value – I love that!
The topic of productivity and productivity hacks has been part of the last couple episodes. I asked if you had any tips, ideas or software you could recommend to help.
Here's an email from wedding photographer Ross Dean of Ross Dean Photography in Suffolk UK:
Just listening to your podcast while I finish up some wedding photos. Love the show! I look forward to it every week.
Another document signing service you may want to try is agree.com, it's a new service and I haven't actually used it myself but I've heard good things.
I've had a look at the website and it does indeed look good and there is a free trial too. What I like about Agree is you have the ability to accept payments from clients and set up payment plans – something which has been discussed recently inside the members Facebook Group
Black Friday Specials for Photographers
It's that time of year when there are specials everywhere – particularly on digital products and photographers are well catered for.
Pre-Black Friday starts today with the business deal of the year from Zach Prez of Photography Spark.
Get the proven SEO Cookbook for Photographers for 50% off, that's only $49 for the comprehensive guide to getting more business from Google.
I've personally read and recommend Zach's book which is full of training and ideas and importantly, is easy to understand and follow.
Get the discount here: photography spark.com
On the page, you'll also see links to the most comprehensive list of Black Friday discounts for photographers – including the 40% off for 12 Month PhotoBizX Memberships.
Do you struggle to write blog posts?
If so, you need to check out Jenika's writing course, Irresistible Words which will help you become SO MUCH better at getting stuff out of your head and onto the page.
Jenika has some very cool ways to write blog posts faster, overcome writers block and get away from those dreadful blog posts that start with… The so and so family are just the cutest ever, we had such an amazing time at their recent shoot, blah, blah, blah.
What I love about Jenika's course is you can use it for more than just blog posts – I've done the course and am now using what I've learnt for all my marketing copy, ads, social media posts – any type of writing I do.
You can find the course here and this weekend, Irresistible Words, which is regularly $249 will be on sale for $199 – save $50.
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
SEO Cookbook and Photography Business Training Guides from Zach Prez
agree.com – create and send contracts, accept payments and set up payment plans
Irresistible Words – the writing course for photographers
Thank you again for listening to the show and thanks to Ben for sharing so much about his business, marketing and approach to success.
There's nothing more powerful than the relationships you have with people – Ben Hartley
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon