A lot of younger photographers may not realise what their work is worth and they don't get paid what they should be
If, like me, you've been using Instagram purely for fun, you'll discover there's a whole new avenue of marketing and business growth available to you if you follow some simple steps. The good news, you can continue to use the app for fun and personal use while growing your business at the same time.
Here's some more of what we cover:
- How Pei generates a income from her photography via Instagram
- Your rights as a photography and fair rates for your work
- How social media influencers are being recruited to work on advertising campaigns
- Finding out if you can still get discovered in Instagram despite the huge number of influential Instagram users nowadays
- How to generate business as an Instagram user
- You need to be committed to the community to generate business from Instagram
- How to build your Instagram following
- The right way to be active and interact with your followers on Instagram
- Tips on finding Instagram users to follow
- Things to avoid when leaving comments on Instagram
- What is considered spammy behaviour when commenting on Instagram
- Be yourself. Be somebody that you would want to follow
- Meeting up (in real life) with the Instagram community in your area
- How to differentiate yourself from other Instagram users when leaving comments on posts
- Is it expected that you follow back when someone follow you
- How to differentiate a good photographer from a great photographer via Instagram
- Why Instagram is not just a number's game
- The essence of Instagram is still about creating great images
- Instagram filters – the do's and don'ts
- Which editing apps Pei uses and recommends
- Pei's workflow from capture to upload
- The importance of hashtags and how to use them correctly
I don't know if you'll ever get to one million followers on Instagram like I believe Pei will but I'd like to think you'll be in a stronger position to grow your audience and use Instagram more effectively following this episode. If you have any tips or ideas that you've found useful as an Instagram user, share them in the comments below.
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this episode where you can hear lots more implementable content from where we dive deeper into some of the earlier topics plus some new ones that I pushed hard for that include:
- How to use @ tags correctly and to attract the right attention
- Pei's thought process when taking photos for Instagram
- Why Pei considers her Instagram account as her photography portfolio
- Consider how you want to use Instagram and how you want to present yourself
- Pei talks about her personal choice of keeping only one Instagram feed rather than separating her personal and professional work
- How to effectively caption feeds in Instagram
- The importance of creating back ups as an Instagram user
- Cautioning photographers against doubling up on posts or sending the same piece of content to all social networks
- The need to differentiate social media content for people to have a reason to follow you on different networks
- Apps For Capture – Cortex Camera, AvgNite Cam, Slow Shutter Cam
- Apps For Editing – VCSO, Snap Seed, SKRWT, Squaready, TouchRetouch
- How long Pei spends to process her photos for Instagram
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
Instagram is not a network where you can just throw content up on it and ignore it
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Pei or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
If you’d like an easy way to show Pei your thanks, and support for the show at the same time, click the link to create a tweet and automatically show you’re listening: https://photobizx.com/pei
The Resources Page
Remember the ever expanding resources page that has a listing of products, programs, hardware, books and directories mentioned in each episode of the show. If you’re looking for something that a guest has mentioned on a previous episode but just can’t remember who or what it was – you’ll find it listed in order on the resources page.
iTunes ratings, reviews and Shout-Outs
Each week before recording the podcast I check iTunes for any reviews and each week I’m excited to see what you’ve had to say about the podcast. This week I was rapt to see two awesome reviews and one pretty good one. Thanks so much to:
Deadly77 from Australia
Nefox from Australia
Rob Ve from Australia
Sincerely, thanks so much for your ratings and reviews, I appreciate the time you’ve taken and it’s a big help for the show. It’s these iTunes reviews that make a big difference to the podcast being ranked well and found in the iTunes store. If you have the time and are happy to leave an honest rating and review, head over to iTunes.
When you can guys, let me know your website or blog URL's so I can add a link to boost your SEO as a small way to say thanks again for your reviews.
Don’t feel your comments have to be long, involved or gushy, an honest opinion is all I ask. Don’t be shy about leaving your business name in the review either – that way I can add a link in the show-notes and show my appreciation with a proper thanks and a Google loving back-link to your website.
Do You Have a Question about Your Business or Marketing?
I'm planning a Q&A episode over the Christmas and New Year period and would love your questions! Feel free to email me or use the voicemail option on this page. You can be as detailed and specific to your busies or circumstances as you like. And, you can remain anonymous if you refer.
Alternatively, if you’d like to get in touch, ask a question about or make a suggestion for the show, you can email me email@example.com, find me on Twitter https://twitter.com/andrewhellmich or on Facebook at https://photobizx.com/facebook – I’d love to hear from you!
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
If you’ve been enjoying the podcast, I’d love for you to tell another photographer about it – it could be in a Facebook Group you’re a part of, a photography forum, with a photographer friend or on twitter.
If you do have a twitter account, simply click here: https://photobizx.com/tweet or use the share buttons below.
Thanks and speak soon