The good news is you can apply the principles and approach that Luisa shares and apply them to any genre of photography or business for that matter. In four years, Luisa is not only one of the countries most respected newborn photographers, she prides herself on running a successful business and not simply having photography as a hobby.
Luisa has won multiple awards for her incredibly beautiful work, which you absolutely must see, and most recently was announced runner up Australian Family Photographer of the year in 2014.
Here’s some more of what we cover:
- Transitioning from full time employment to self employed baby photographer
- Why Luisa studied photography instead of learning on her own
- The disadvantages of learning photography on your own
- How Luisa chooses her perfect clients
- The importance of setting client expectations when booking a newborn photography session
- Product is key to a profitable newborn photography business
- Why Luisa insists on having an assistant at every newborn session
- How Luisa works during her photography sessions with newborns
- Pricing and minimum spend for newborn sessions
- If you're not making money from your photography business, it's a hobby, not a business
- Why you need to think and act like a business person when considering pricing
- Why Luisa steers clear of Facebook photography groups
- Doing a good job and delivering high quality service is all that matters when attracting clients
- 90% Luisa's clients come from referrals or repeat clients – learn how you can too
- Luisa's marketing strategies are to attract the right clients for her photography business
- Which businesses to partner with to spread the word about your photography business
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this episode where you can hear lots more content from where we dive deeper into some of the earlier topics plus some new ones that I pushed hard for that include:
- Discover which partners provide the best leads for a newborn photography business
- The importance of providing relevant marketing materials for each specific marketing partner
- Why Facebook is a powerful tool to find and attract clients
- Why Luisa doesn't tag clients in their photos once she uploads on Facebook
- Discover what it means to provide the best client experience
- The stigma surrounding mummy photographers
- Using Instagram as a tool to attract new photography clients
- Newborn and baby photography workshops
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Luisa or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
If you’d like an easy way to show Luisa your thanks, and support for the show at the same time, click the link to create a tweet and automatically show you’re listening: https://photobizx.com/tweet
The Resources Page
Remember the ever expanding resources page that has a listing of products, programs, hardware, books and directories mentioned in each episode of the show. If you’re looking for something that a guest has mentioned on a previous episode but just can’t remember who or what it was – you’ll find it listed in order on the resources page.
Are you a NEW listener?
Ive been trialing a new marketing idea for the podcast with hand written letters to wedding and portrait photographers in Seattle, Phoenix, Sacramento, Tacoma, Salt Lake and Denver areas. I'd love if you are the recipients of one of my letters to let me know you're now listening to the show.
Simply shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to say hi, I'd love to hear from you.
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Thank you again for listening to the show and thanks Luisa for being an awesome guest!
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon