Luci Dumas of Luci Dumas Fine Photography has made a full time living as a photographer for the last 35 years with no other job or spouse paying the major expenses. She started out as a wedding photographer for the first 10 years. She then specialised in baby portraits which evolved into family sessions as the babies grew up.
She has maintained a 6 figure turnover since 1983! Her sales are usually between $2500 and $8000 and she's had some $12,000 sales this year. A big part of generating a consistent flow of new clients is working with community groups to grow her email list of prospective photography clients.
I know these things is because Luci is also a photography business coach and before asking her onto the show, I wanted to be sure, she she'd actually made a living shooting and not only teaching. I'm pretty sure, it's established that she knows how to run a photography business and I'm rapt to have had a chance to interview her fro this episode.
Here’s some more of what we cover in the interview:
- Does coaching photographers generate more income that photography itself
- Changes Luci has faced in her photography business for the past 35 years
- Luci's unique routine or process in generating leads
- Establishing trust and how to become a trusted advisor to your photography clients
- How to take your photography leads from email to phone
- Why Luci does not sell digital files
- Asking clients to take photos of their home and the possible locations to hang photography
- Charity auction marketing and gift certificates and how the strategy works
- Fund raising and the huge benefits in building your contact list
- How to connect with Fund raising event organisers and establishing relationship with the right groups
- Email marketing strategies for photographers
- The importance of establishing a contact list and nurturing the relationship with your previous clients by following up
- Why Luci recommends a spreadsheet to keep track of client details
- How Luci's photo sessions work to lead clients to purchase more
- Luci's three categories, the photos that make up the categories and how it works to increase sales
- Luci's effective bundle strategy and packages
- Luci's perfect photographer mentor client that she loves to work with
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this interview – the full length and more revealing version where you hear the absolute best tips and advice from every guest.
So one of the first things that I would recommend to anyone is to start that day one capturing all information, notes on birthdays, anniversaries, how to reach them, phone numbers, emails, home addresses, that is gold, that's like your retirement. – Luci Dumas
If you’re on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interviews each week, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your phone or tablet.
Plus special member-only interviews.
You'll also receive access to the members only Secret Facebook Group where you can connect with other Premium Members and interview guests to help, support and motivate you to take ideas you hear in each episode and put them into action. There are also FB live video tutorials, role play interviews and special live interviews happening in the group.
You will not find more friendly, more motivated, caring and sharing photographers online.
Joining a Mastermind Group (encouraged by Andrew) has been incredibly valuable and fun, I look forward to connecting with my group members every week. Jina Zheng, Premium Member and Melbourne Children photographer.
And that's not all… you get a set of steak knives… I'm kidding!
Seriously though, that's not all. In addition to everything above, you'll get access to and instructions on forming or joining a MasterMind Group with other premium members. These groups are super motivating, make you accountable and build friendships with other pro photographers with similar motives to you – to build a more successful photography business.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know if you're taking anything away from what Luci shared. Is there something you heard that excited or motivated you to the point where you thought, yeah, I'm going to do that! If so, let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below, let me know what your takeaways were, what you plan to implement in your business as a result of what you heard in todays episode.
I think a big part of my success is as their trusted advisor, I am also staying in my emotional place and paying attention to which ones giving me the tingles as they come up. – Luci Dumas
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Luci or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them in the comments area below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL of your website and your name.
Alternatively, if you've left a review for PhotoBizX and are looking for more backlinks to help your SEO, leave a review for the new Photography Xperiment Podcast and email me your key words or keyword phrase and where you'd like me to link to.
Online Photography Sales Made Easy
The Online Sales Made Easy course (name not yet locked in stone) is now available to Premium Members only!
The course has been put together by family and portrait photographer Nick Peel who is averaging $1000 sales – all online.
Yes, the big industry push is toward IPS but there are a bunch of reasons you might need to ustilise online selling. That's why I saw such value in putting this together with Nick.
In the course you'll learn:
- how to set up your pricing to lead client naturally to your top package every time
- what to include in your online gallery
- how to set up your gallery and pricing to make it easy for you and clients (video tutorial)
- Which shots you need, to best sell your top package following every shoot
- what kind of locations will give you the best chance at selling your top package
- why you should never sell individual images
- how to introduce urgency into your pricing which encourages sale
- email and text swipe copy to use in your business
- Why you shouldn't use sneak peeks with online sales
- And as they say… Lots more.
The course is aimed at portrait photographers, in particular family photographers but there is sction for shooting couples and engagement sessions and selling online to these clients.
The cost is going to $97.
As usual, there's a money back guarantee – if you're not happy for whatever reason, let me know and I'll refund you. No questions.
Nick and I have worked hard on this and we're both proud of the result and think it fills a need for any photographer who for whatever reason can't or doesn't want to do IPS.
If that's you and you want the best chance of making great online sales following every session, this strategy will do that for you. It's proven and it works.
If you want more details or to be notified when the course is available, add your details here: http://bookmoreportraits.com/
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Thanks again for listening and thanks to Luci for coming on and sharing so much about her business, thoughts and tips on marketing, sales, pricing and client aquisition for todays episode.
If there's something that I love that they have also responded to in the original slide show, I'll get out of my chair, I'll pick up a board, I'll hold it up and let them see it the way that I visualise it, finished. – Luci Dumas
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon