Erick Danzer and Scott Wyden Kivowitz of www.imagely.com are two of the guys behind a new automated lab fulfilment for photographers with WordPress websites.
I asked both guys onto the podcast after reading about what could be a game-changing service for photographers who want to sell directly from their WordPress websites.
My first thought was – is this the end of services like Pixieset, Pic-time and Shoot-proof?
Erick Danzer is the man behind-the-scenes at Imagely. His focus is on ensuring Imagely gives back to the photography community through the Imagely Fund and other initiatives.
Scott Wyden Kivowitz who was interviewed for episode 274 of the PhotoBizX Podcast and is the Chief Community Officer at Imagely, a father, blogger, photographer and educator. He's the author of multiple photography books, and often educates photographers about WordPress via blogging and YouTube.
If the idea of doing away with a third-party print and file selling solution like Pic-Time, Smugmug, Photoshelter, Zenfolio, Shootproof, Cloudspot or Pixiset sounds attractive… it'll be worth listening to what Erick and Scott have to share.
Here’s some of what we cover:
- How automated print fulfilment works with WordPress
- Images are stored by the photographer using their hosting service
- The importance of considering hosting storage when using Imagely
- Why Automated Print Fulfilment in WordPress will not slow your website speeds
- How NextGEN Pro is the fastest gallery plugin for WordPress
- Will hosting your own photos for sale boost your SEO?
- URL's to give to clients when hosting photos on your site
- Tracking client visits via Google Analytics or plugins
- Does Imagely work best for online sales or in-person sales?
- The capability of using different price lists and price structures with Imagely
- How Imagely's e-commerce system works to benefit photographers
- How to set up the Imagely plugin on WordPress
- Using the NextGen Gallery plugin to upload and sell photos in WordPress
- Modes of payments accepted when selling photos using the NextGen Pro plugin
- NextGen Gallery as a free WordPress plugin
- Imagely pricing
- What are turnkey websites and who are they for?
- Will switching from Squarespace to WordPress affect your onsite SEO?
- The challenges of migrating from Squarespace to WordPress
- Why Imagely preconfigures WordPress plugins like Yoast
- The need to have product excellence and good marketing to succeed today
- Is it more important for success to have an excellent product or a different product?
- Choosing between being different or being better
- Social media as a tool to connect with your target audience
- The need to semi-automate your social media posting
- How to semi-automate your social networking
- Social media as part of your lead generation process
- How and why to differentiate your branding
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to read your feedback and comments. Was there something from this interview that struck a chord, inspired or motivated you?
Will you take any kind of action after hearing what Scott & Erick had to share?
I often think of businesses being very simple but not always easy. – Erick Danzer
Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Scott & Erick or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below too.
Be excellent at whatever you're doing. – Scott Wyden Kivowitz
Without product excellence, you don't get off the ground. – Erick Danzer
If you want to succeed, you really need just two things. You need product excellence or service excellence… then you need good marketing. – Erick Danzer
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
NextGEN Pro Pricing Comparison – compare NextGen to other photography e-commerce solutions available with this handy tool
WHCC – White House Custom Colour
Thanks again for listening to the show and thanks to Scott & Erick for coming on and experimenting with a new and different format for this photography podcast and for sharing their thoughts, expertise, views and ideas.
Try to be unique and create something spectacular beyond that. But do it because you want to and you love it, and not because you think that's going to make you more money. – Scott Wyden Kivowitz
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me, hope everything is going well for you in life and photography!
Thanks and speak soon