Rahim Mustafa of Sugarbox Studios is an internationally published fitness and physique portrait photographer based in the UK. Surprisingly, he doesn't have a website but uses social media for his online presence – something I've been told never to do. In saying that… it was his YouTube videos and in particular his behind the scenes shoots that led to me chasing him up for this interview.
Don't get the wrong impression though, Rahim's photography is fantastic and features athletes in their best physical shape, often highlighted with dramatic off camera flash and beautifully executed photoshop work.
I love this review one of his clients left: He’s a very funny and energetic photographer. But takes his work very seriously and professionally.
If you've ever considered behind the scenes video (BTS) to help make a better connection with your potential photography clients, this interview will have you all set and ready to shoot in a way that's entertaining, fun and professional without a big budget or lots of gear.
Here’s some more of what we cover in the interview:
- How Rahim uses a personal approach with his photography business to make connections
- What influenced Rahim to shoot YouTube videos and behind the scenes shoots?
- How Rahim started Sugar Box Studios and why he choose the business name for branding purposes
- Why Rahim has to charge instead of shooting for free and as a hobby with a full-time job
- Why Rahim had to change his business name after starting his photography business
- Why he doesn't have a website
- Why you should consider shooting video for your busienss
- Benefits of having video and how it generates a larger audience strategically
- Why choose YouTube instead of Vimeo?
- A look back with Rahim's at his first behind the scenes video
- How to structure your behind the scenes video session
- The video editing process
- What camera Rahim is using and why he likes using this particular model
- What is an establishing shot and why you need them
- Why sound is more important than the video footage when shooting video
- Tips and advice for shooting your own BTS videos
- Why you don't need to make your videos complicated
- How to add personality and connect with your viewers
- Video editing programs
- How to choose the right music for your videos
- Do's and Don'ts when choosing music for your videos
- Buying copyright free music is the way to go
- The importance of having a call to action in every video
- How to export video and what settings to use
- Tips on what to use in the description box when uploading to YouTube
- How to keep going when you make a mistake while shooting BTS video
- What is a jump cut and how it works
- Plugins to help with your YouTube analytics
- Negative reviews or comments and how to handle them
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this interview – the full length and more revealing version where you hear the absolute best tips and advice from every guest.
People will generally forgive dodgy pictures more than bad sound. – Rahim Mastafa
If you’re on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interviews each week, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your phone or tablet.
Plus special member-only interviews.
You'll also receive access to the members only Secret Facebook Group where you can connect with other Premium Members and interview guests to help, support and motivate you to take ideas you hear in each episode and put them into action. There are also FB live video tutorials, role play interviews and special live interviews happening in the group.
You will not find more friendly, more motivated, caring and sharing photographers online.
Joining a Mastermind Group (encouraged by Andrew) has been incredibly valuable and fun, I look forward to connecting with my group members every week. Jina Zheng, Premium Member and Melbourne Children photographer.
And that's not all… you get a set of steak knives… I'm kidding!
Seriously though, that's not all. In addition to everything above, you'll get access to and instructions on forming or joining a MasterMind Group with other premium members. These groups are super motivating, make you accountable and build friendships with other pro photographers with similar motives to you – to build a more successful photography business.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know if you're taking anything away from what Rahim shared. Is there something you heard that excited or motivated you to the point where you thought, yeah, I'm going to do that! If so, let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below, let me know what your takeaways were, what you plan to implement in your business as a result of what you heard in todays episode.
Photographers should consider filming their own BTS videos and it doesn't have to be complicated. – Rahim Mastafa
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Rahim or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them in the comments area below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL of your website and your name.
Alternatively, if you've left a review for PhotoBizX and are looking for more backlinks to help your SEO, leave a review for the new Photography Xperiment Podcast and email me your key words or keyword phrase and where you'd like me to link to.
If you're thinking of making a BTS video, sound is so important. People think it's all about the picture quality but actually, sound is more important. – Rahim Mastafa
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Spartan Cosplay Fitness Photo Shoot Behind the Scenes at The Roman Baths (includes Osmo footage)
Thanks again for listening and thanks to Rahim for coming on and sharing so much about his business, thoughts and tips on shooting behind the scenes video for photographers.
Make sure you look down the lens to connect with your viewer. – Rahim Mastafa
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon