Todays episode features Rose and Thomas from Bittersweet Designs in the USA and they're bringing something out of the ordinary but so relevant to the show. These guys are experiencing growth and success in the wedding and portrait photography business world and have grown from nothing to complete success with gorgeous work and smart marketing.
They've had a roller coaster ride to get to where they are after 6 years in business. From multiple website failures and completely changing the business model from custom branding to creating Photoshop templates for photographers, they are constantly learning to adapt and evolve in this industry.
In this interview, learn how they cleared their debt, quit their day jobs and are growing their design business step by step. I know you're going to find their story motivating, inspiring and with so many great ideas to grow your business you had better have some note taking capacities at the ready!
Here’s some of what we cover:
- What Bittersweet Designs are all about – how their business works
- How to customize the Design by Bittersweet templates
- The changes Rose and Thomas embraced to go full-time with their business
- Paying attention to trends to come up with fresh ideas for your photography business
- Why the wedding photography industry is the perfect target market
- How Rose and Thomas hit their financial goals before going full-time
- How to get free from your debt
- Leaving the day job behind to pursue your dream work
- The benefits of working full-time in your business
- Why you need to focus your marketing on different social media platforms
- How to use social media engagement as an effective way to market your business
- The best marketing strategies that have worked for Bittersweet Designs
- How to use Instagram to market your photography business
- How to build your target audience on Instagram
- The proper use of Instagram hashtags for photographers in business
- Using one-on-one engagement in social media
- The best gadget to enhance your Instagram experience
- How to use Instagram to actively search out your target clients
- Why Rose and Thomas thinks it's okay to be “creepy” when utilising social media
- Why photographers need to set their eyes on SnapChat now
- Using Pinterest to market your photography business
- How to generate more website traffic with Pinterest
- Which is better for business today: Pinterest or Facebook
- Discounting, is it a good or bad thing for photographers?
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with a very special promo code to give you 50% off some already attractively priced and pretty special offerings from Rose and Thomas. You can also find the promo code in the Premium area of the site.
You'll also find one of their Magazine Pricing Sets for your use, absolutely free!
If you're on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the same promo code from Karen, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your podcast app.
Promo Code for FREE Listeners
If you’re a listener to the free version of the podcast, Rose and Thomas are spoiling you with a promo code to save you 30% off whatever you order from their store by using the code PHOTOBIZ at the checkout.
Head over to the shop at http://designbybittersweet.com and have a look at some very cool designs, logos, cheat sheets, marketing material and heaps more.
This promo code is valid till October 24th 2015.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
The amount it costs to promote pins is a lot cheaper than if you were to do a Facebook ad – Bittersweet Designs
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Rose and Thomas or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL.
In iTunes by Atlanta wedding photographer, Chris Cottrell of Cottrell & Co. Photographers in the USA on August 22, 2015
Huge “Thank You” Andrew for the Podcast.
Having spent about 9 months lurking on the free side I made the switch to the Premium Content early in 2015. There's a “golden nugget” in every show and we've been able to implement some of what we've learned from each episode.
We are currently rebranding to “Cottrell & Co. Photographers” and really trying to drill down to find our people thanks to Kristen Kalp. We are beginning to work with the type of clients we like and feel we are getting our heads around pricing, marketing and more.
Andrew has been super helpful with the technical challenges that we have encountered and always responds very quickly to our requests.
Keep up the great work Andrew, look forward to listening to the next podcast.
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Thank you again for listening to the show and thanks to Rose and Thomas for being fantastic guests and showing what can be achieved if we're prepared to work for it!
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon