CJ has been obsessed with photography since the age of 12 but a few years ago, his passion for photography took a turn. He became less focused on the gear and more focused on making photos that matter.
I recently finished reading his book – “A lesser Photographer – escaping the gear trap to focus on what matters” and found myself nodding, thinking and questioning myself the entire way through.
I finished reading CJ's book, subscribed to his email list and the goodness continued. I'm rapt to have him for this episode of the podcast.
Here’s some of what we cover:
- The big difference between professional and amateur photographers
- 99.99% of photographers aren't professionals
- Amateur photographer are lucky, the shoot what truly makes them happy
- Professional photographers have adapted but can't shoot what makes them happy
- The changing view on photography equipment
- The importance of learning what really matters when honing your creativity
- It normally takes 20 years to know what you truly want as a photographer
- Advice for photographers who want to go pro
- Why you should stop wasting time reading books to learn photography
- Why photographers are so enamored with photographic equipment
- Will it a good idea to quit your full-time job to turn pro?
- Photography with writing can generate more income when starting a business
- Why you need to promote your own story to succeed in photography business
- Why CJ chooses not to monetize his blog
- The importance of building relationships with your readers through newsletters
- Is blogging for everyone?
- Learn why nothing you do is ever a waste of time
- Unloading thoughts and hesitations will free up your mind to come up with more creative solutions
- How to find your voice
- How to find your brand
- Do you really need a unique style and does it even exist?
- The importance of getting your story across
- The need to think like your potential clients
- Is the use of social media a bad thing to grow in as a photographer?
- Once you make your art into a business, it's no longer your art
- Can photographers really be considered artists?
- Why you need to build, keep and have a great reputation in business
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links and instructions on how to download your free copy of CJ's book “A Lesser Photographer.”
If you're on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and save a few dollars on a fantastic book and check out the back catalogue of amazing photographers and their interviews at the same time.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know what your biggest takeaway is – what is the one thing that you’d like to implement or learnt from what was shared? Let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below.
Snap shots are the most important photographs in the world – CJ Chilvers
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask CJ Chilvers or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them below.
If you’d like an easy way to show CJ your thanks and support for the show at the same time, click the link to create a tweet and automatically show you’re listening: https://photobizx.com/tweet
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple reasons.
Firstly it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners means more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you!
If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog just like I have with past listeners.
$1 Trial for the PhotoBizX PremiumMembership
If you're a regular listener to the free podcast, you definitely know you're missing out on a ton of good content that could be the difference in you speeding up your success in this business or working things out yourself… slowly.
If you've wondered what you get for $20 per month with the membership, will it be good value for you?
People are more endeared to what you are saying if you have a distinctive voice and interest outside of photography – CJ Chilvers
Now, you can trial the Premium Membership for a measly $1 for the first month! Here's the link to go check it out and stop missing info that will impact your photography, your business, your life: https://photobizx.com/try
Any questions or hassles, email me or leave a comment below – hope to see you in the membership area shortly.
SEO Course for Photographers is On The Way
If you're on my email list or a Premium Member, you will have heard I was planning to hire Gabriel Machuret to help with the SEO for my new photography business website. I then had the idea of asking Gabriel to turn what he was going to teach and help me with, into a course for you and your photography business.
The course is well on its way to creation but before it's finished, I asked listeners for their input on the course by answering one question.
If you'd like to have some input and want to help me at the same time, I'd love for you to answer the question and you can also learn a little more about the SEO course – the link is below:
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
A Lesser Photographer – the website
Thank you again for listening to the show and thanks to CJ Chilvers for being an fantastic and thought provoking guest!
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon