Julie Muir of www.juliemuircelebrant.com.au is not a ‘typical' guest for this podcast – she's a wedding celebrant, not a photographer. If your first instinct is to skip this episode in favour of an interview with a recognised photographer – do so at your own peril.
To say I was blown away by what Julie had to share is a massive understatement! She kept firing away with tactics, strategies and ideas she uses and has used to grow her business fast and by attracting her ideal clients. At the same time, she is utilising beautifully simple networking tactics to create meaningful (and helpful to her business) relationships with other local vendors.
Not only was Julie super generous in what she had to share in our initial face to face recording… she called me on the way home to say she forgot to share more details on another 3 fantastic tactics she's utilising in her business that would work equally well for podcast listeners – photographers.
So… we recorded another segment to add to the already jam-packed episode.
I think it's important to find ways to connect with your couples and show them you care, and it doesn't have to be expensive. – Julie Muir
Premium members are in for a real treat with half the interview saved only for you.
If you're on the fence about becoming a premium member, THIS IS THE EPISODE where you want to hear everything that's shared! You can check out a trial membership for $1 here: https://photobizx.com/try and hear everything Julie has to share.
Here’s some more of what we cover in the interview:
- Why Julie decided to become a celebrant leaving her full-time day job
- How many couples does a celebrant need to book to have a sustainable, profitable business?
- Charging low prices devalues what celebrants do
- Julie's other side hustles to generate more income
- Using eco-confetti like dried rose petals to adhere to environmental values
- Why couples pick Julie
- How clients are finding Julie
- Using videos and honing your branding to focus on your target market
- Who are Julie's ideal clients and how she is finding the right clients for her?
- Building a database of keywords from the contact form she sends clients to identify the perfect clients
- Sending a personalised video email to clients has revolutionised Julie's business
- How BombBomb videos work and how to maximize the app for your business
- The personalized video greetings Julie send out has a 30% booking rate without meeting her
- What Julie sends out to client's inquiries
- How Julie accepts client payments and payment terms
- Do women need to look good and dress up before sending a personalised video email?
- How fast should you send a video email once you get an inquiry?
- Using Julie's Irish heritage as a key selling point in her video greetings
- Why Julie loves Stacey Brown Randall's interview on getting referrals without asking
- Using Thank You cards and Thank you gifts for clients and vendors
- The importance of building a good relationship with other vendors
- Bringing a goodie bag of treats for photographers
- What Julie does to encourage customer reviews for Facebook and Google
- The importance of replying to client reviews on Facebook and Google
- How Julie plants the seed for clients to book her for their baby naming ceremony
- The importance of following the client's social media channels
- How networking and joining mastermind groups benefit your business
- How Julie refers clients to other celebrants when she's fully booked
- How Julie utilises Facebook live to market her business
- The importance of positioning yourself as an expert in your industry
- What evergreen content Julie blogs on her website
- Working on video testimonials from couples and vendors
- What Julie wishes from the photographers she works with
- Why Julie is a big advocate for wedding rehearsals
- What Julie does for her couples that get a great response and brings her couples to happy tears
- The importance of reading through different resources to enhance your business
- Leaving vendor reviews to build vendor relationships within the industry
- Leaving snippets and a link back to evergreen blog articles on Google My Business
- Planting a tree for every client Julie books as part of her environmental brand values
- Julie's unique way of sending her invoices
- Using a softbox to create good lighting for video production
- How Julie owned up to an embarrassing moment during a wedding ceremony and used it to her advantage
What’s on Offer for Premium Members
If you’re a premium member, you should have received an email with links to your version of this interview – the full length and more revealing version where you hear the absolute best tips and advice from every guest.
If you’re on the fence about becoming a premium member, join with the $1 trial today and get access to the FULL interviews each week, get access to an amazing back catalogue of interviews and ALL future interviews delivered automatically to your phone or tablet.
The price is what you pay and the value is what you get. – Julie Muir
Plus special member-only interviews.
You'll also receive access to the members-only Secret Facebook Group where you can connect with other Premium Members and interview guests to help, support and motivate you to take ideas you hear in each episode and put them into action. There are also FB live video tutorials, role-play interviews and special live interviews happening in the group. You will not find more friendly, more motivated, caring and sharing photographers online.
Joining a Mastermind Group (encouraged by Andrew) has been incredibly valuable and fun, I look forward to connecting with my group members every week. Jina Zheng, Premium Member and Melbourne Children photographer.
And that's not all… you get a set of steak knives… I'm kidding!
Seriously though, that's not all. In addition to everything above, you'll get access to and instructions on forming or joining a MasterMind Group with other premium members. These groups are super motivating, make you accountable and build friendships with other pro photographers with similar motives to you – to build a more successful photography business.
What is your big takeaway?
Following this interview, I’d love to know if you're taking anything away from what Julie shared. Is there something you heard that excited or motivated you to the point where you thought, yeah, I'm going to do that! If so, let me know by leaving your thoughts in the comments below, let me know what your takeaways were, what you plan to implement in your business as a result of what you heard in today's episode.
The more that I've honed the copy on my website, the more I'm attracting my ideal client. – Julie Muir
If you have any questions that I missed, a specific question you’d like to ask Julie or if you just want to say thanks for coming on the show, feel free to add them in the comments area below.
iTunes Reviews and Shout-outs
Each week I check for any new iTunes reviews and it's always a buzz to receive these… for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, it's confirmation that I'm on the right track with the interviews and that they really are helping you improve your photography business. That's awesome!
Secondly, iTunes is the biggest search engine when it comes to podcasts and it's your reviews and ratings that help other photographers find PhotoBizX. More listeners mean more interviews and ultimately a better show.
If you have left a review in the past, thank you! If you haven't and you'd like to, head to https://photobizx.com/itunes and you can leave some honest feedback and a rating which will help both me and the show and I'll be sure to thank you on the show and add a link to your website or blog if you let me know the URL of your website and your name.
Alternatively, if you've left a review for PhotoBizX and are looking for more backlinks to help your SEO, leave a review for the new Photography Xperiment Podcast and email me your keywords or keyword phrase and where you'd like me to link to.
Another great way to get a backlink to your site is to send a video testimonial. It doesn't need to be fancy and your phone will be perfect. Click record and tell me how PhotoBizX has made a difference to you and your photography business.
Here are the latest reviews…
Great resource for photographers
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by Harlow baby photographer, Sue Kennedy from the United Kingdom on July 12, 2019
I discovered this podcast when another photographer recommended it to me. I initially made use of Andrews's custom episode suggestions, and never looked back.
I usually listen in the car, and then again when I can make notes!
Even the podcasts not immediately relevant to me as a baby photographer are still interesting to listen to, and often the nuggets of advice are transferrable across the genres too.
Like Oxygen To A Photographer!
★★★★★ in Apple Podcasts by Bloomfield Hills family portrait photographer, Hugh Anderson Photography from the United States of America on July 8, 2019
It doesn't matter what your speciality is, there's A LOT of stuff to be had here.
As a premium member, I have been listening to all things marketing from Andrew's guests and every single podcast inspires me to do more.
Some other podcasts sound like they have been recorded in a tin can bouncing down the road, but not these. They are clear, well recorded, and a joy to listen to.
I'm listening a lot in the car as I drive, an excellent use of what's most often wasted time.
Spend the money for a monthly membership, and take your business to the next level and beyond.
Links to people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Business Connect – a personalised NSW Government program to start or grow your business
Thanks again for listening and big thanks to Julie for coming on and sharing her thoughts on the business of being a successful wedding celebrant and opening our eyes to SO many marketing, advertising and customer service ideas – never before discussed or shared on the podcast after 300+ interviews with photographers.
I am a little bit of a perfectionist and so I'm really trying to not worry about doing something perfectly, otherwise, I will never get anything done in my business. – Julie Muir
If you have any suggestions, comments or questions about this episode, please be sure to leave them below in the comment section of this post, and if you liked the episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post!
That’s it for me this week, hope everything is going well for you in life and business!
Thanks and speak soon